Vital Registration System (VRS):
Simply speaking, VRS is the record of birth and migration. The records of vital information/ events like birth, death, marriage, divorce, migration are known as Vital Registration System. After registration of vital events, the registration certificate is given which is required for various legal purposes.
Features of VRS
- The primary source of population data.
- Provides appropriate data for the rate of natural increase (RNI), if covered well.
- Use of separate form for separate vital events.
- Vital registration has legal value as vital registration certificate is provided.
- Report of vital statistics is regularly published with regular registration of vital events.
- Data awareness is necessary for its effective implementation.
Coverage of information in Vital Registration System in Nepal:
Birth: Name of child, sex, order, date, and place of birth, parent’s name, age, education, occupation.
Death: Name, age, sex, marital status, caste, place of death, address, occupation, place of birth, cause of death.
Marriage: Name, age, caste, education, occupation, address, place of birth, usual place of residence of bride/ bridegroom, name of their parents.
Divorce: Name, age, caste, mother tongue, religion, education, occupation, citizen, address, duration of married life, total live births, total live children of divorced persons and cause of divorce.
Migration: Name, age, sex, place of birth, citizenship, education, religion, caste, mother a tongue, place of origin and destination of migrants and cause of migration.
Importance of Vital Registration System:
- A reliable source of data if covered well.
- Data on vital statistics are useful for planning.
- Researchers, students, teachers can get current data.
- The legal vital value of registration.
- Useful to find natural growth.
Limitations of Vital Registration System:
- Poor coverage and poor data.
- No separate institution to take responsibility.
- The carelessness of people due to lack of data awareness.
- No strict compulsion of registration
- Lack of reward and punishment for registration